Leaves on my basil plants are ready for their first harvest. The more picked, the more leaves are produced in lieu of going to flower. With this garden inspiration, I invite you to a Pesto (and roasted summer tomato) Fest on Saturday, August 26, prime time for basil and ripe local tomatoes.
Here's the skinny...we'll gather in the kitchen with a bounty of sun-kissed tomatoes, fresh herbs, garlic, onions and olive oil to prepare for roasting. While the oven alchemy is happening, let's sample each other's favorite homemade pesto on pasta (durum wheat or gluten-free), cleansing the palate with a bite of greens, cucumber or mint water. You take home a cup of concentrated roasted tomatoes and recipes for the pestos you can hardly wait to make.
- Bring a cup (8 ounces) of homemade pesto, whether conventional basil-based or otherwise. Here's a chance to go wild!
- If making a version with cheese, please wait to add cheese until coming to the Fest as some folks will prefer pesto without cheese.
- Bring your recipe and I will send them out pronto after the Fest.
- Let me know ahead of time your choice of pasta (durum wheat or gluten-free).
- Remember to bring an empty 1 cup container and lid for your take home of roasted tomatoes.
Cost? $20 if BYOP (bring your own pesto), $30 if you come without pesto.
Please sign up and pre-pay by Tuesday, August 21 at 503-232-4047 or email@example.com.